Westernkind Games News
December 27th, 2021
- Removing the built-in scoring functionality.
December 25th, 2021
- Merry Christmas! I've fixed bug in the game engine which was breaking the hiking story.
December 13th, 2021
- It has been a few months since my last update. My recent work has been on non-game related areas of the site. Things like database support and adding user registration and user accounts. After that work is completed, I will get back to finisht the Danger Trail game.
September 14th, 2021
- Big thanks to Finalblossom for proofreading the site and providing corrections for me. I've fixed all of the grammatical errors and spelling mistake that you found.
September 3rd, 2021
- The Danger Trail development is coming along well. A big part of the game is the random events system and I'm about 50% done coding that. The game code that I am reverse-engineering dates back to 1978 and the flow of logic can be a little convoluted in places. I suspect that the poor code design was done intentionally to obfuscate the inner workings of the game, but it could be that our tech level at the time was that low.
August 24th, 2021
- I've been working on the Roll Your Own system and integrating that into the game engine. See the Roll Your Own page for details about this feature.
- The addition of the RYO feature has allowed me to add die rolls to the Danger Trail game. The Danger Trail game will be released once the minimum functionality is complete. There is no hard release date, but I'm thinking I can have something out there by early October.
- I'll be adding a contact page soon, so contributors can submit their yarns for the site. You can also DM on twitter at Westernkind Games Twitter Page.
August 13th, 2021
- The website is now back online and work will continue on the Danger Trails game as well as other games.
Febuary 8th, 2021
- Promethean Hails everyone! It's been awhile since my last update. I've been very busy on another project, but I do plan on getting back to this soon.
Oct 8th, 2020
- Several bug fixes to underlying yarnspinner code.
- Removed some commands and added some commands. See "make your own" page for details.
Sep 23nd, 2020
- Added inputnumber command which makes it possible for the player to input a number that is then stored in a variable.
Sep 22nd, 2020
- Added setdate and adddays commands for using and manipulating dates.
Sep 21st, 2020
- Fixed a few layout issues for small screen devices.
- Added the inputrange command.
- Fixed bug preventing commands from using variables as arguments.
- Fixed bug preventing assignments from using variables.
- Fixed bug preventing use of commands with comma separated arguments inside parenthesis.
Sep 17th, 2020
- Fixed a bug that was preventing the fx graphics from showing in Chrome.
Sep 2nd, 2020
- Expanded authentication and authorization system. It is now possible to restrict access to different parts of the website based on what groups a user belongs to. Being a registered user is not required for playing the game.
- Improved fireworks graphics and applause when player's end score is over 50 points.
- New commands added to the engine for configuring how actions and responses appear.
- Added documentation of the Roll Your Own (RYO) dice rolling system.
- Updated graphics on several pages and revamped menus.
Aug 18th, 2020
- Added documentation of the Story Game Engine for those that are working on their own user submissions.
- Added new comical user submission titled "Salesman".
Aug 15th, 2020
- Login via twitter now working.
- User accounts added with support to login via google.
- Why have user accounts? The game is currently very simple and there is no need for saving and loading the player's progress, but this will not always be the case. The plan is to create a full campaign, where the player creates a character and is able to continue the game where they left off. We also plan to track a user's progress through the lessons that will be available here. Who knows exactly what is in store for the game and how large it will grow, but maybe someday you will be able to interact with other players in the game, like an MMO.